Monday, May 16, 2011

Why I Love Hockey: 2011 NHL Playoffs

So today I want to talk about the NHL playoffs, which to me is better than the playoffs of the other 3 major American sports. Simply put the 2011 Playoffs have been nothing short of phenomenal. I will start by explaining why the NHL playoffs is so special to me, then talk specifically about this years playoffs.

Although it seems like I am this obnoxious, bias and extremely loyal hockey fan, I haven't always been this way. Being a Leaf fan, in the post-lockout era has not been easy, and because of this I began to lose interest in the game between 2007 and 2009. It got to the point where my own hockey game became worse and I considered quitting playing myself. Then came the 2009 NHL playoffs. It was this playoff season that rejuvenated my love for hockey because of the nail-biting 7 game series, the emerging rivalries which continue to shape the game, as well as the Cup final itself going down to the wire. Whether it be the unlikely run of the Carolina Hurricanes, upsetting the always potent New Jersey and the dynamic Boston Bruins, the emerging rivalry between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals or the continued dominance of the Detroit Red Wings (or Dead Wings as my mom likes to call them), the 09 playoffs had it all. When the 09 Playoffs began, I watched for the sake of watching, but by time it ended, I was so exhausted by the drama that it would seem like my favourite team was involved. This playoffs reminded me of why I grew up loving hockey.

The love affair with the NHL Playoffs continued the next year. Unlike the previous season, where the final few teams were fairly neutral to me, this time around, there was a clear team I was rooting for: the Montreal Canadiens. While it seems odd that a Leaf fan cheers for Montreal, it is the truth. Growing up in a home where both parents and siblings are Habs fans, I was forced to cheer for the Habs. Of course one of the top stories of the 2010 Playoffs was the run of the Canadiens, who upset the top regular season team the Caps, and the defending Stanley Cup champs the Penguins. What made the Habs run so amazing was that it was anchored by unlikely sources: NHL veteran of 2 regular season games prospect PK Subban, the teams backup to start the season Jaro Halak, undersized sniper Mike Cammalleri, and unheralded, unknown defensive defenseman Josh Georges. Their comeback against the Capitals in round 1 was one of the most remarkable comebacks I had ever seen. Then there was the Philadelphia storyline. The team who made it in the playoffs on the last day of the season was able to make the Cup finals, which included a comeback against Boston despite being down 3-0 in the series. Led by skilled sniper Danny Briere, tough as nails leaders Mike Richards and Chris Pronger, the playoffs also served as a coming out party for one of my favourite players, the smooth, yet gritty Claude Giroux. And of course, the playoffs was topped off by the Chicago Blackhawks, whose amazing core stole the show, and whose rather anti-climactic ending courtesy Patrick Kane will never be forgotten.

So then came this years playoffs, and I thought nothing could top the past two years. So far, I have been wrong. The First round of the playoffs were the best first round I have ever seen, and they included possibly the best First round series and best game ever. Of course I am referring to the Vancouver - Chicago series, the fierce 7 game war between the top team in the regular season against the defending Cup champs. After a dominating start for the 'Nuck's, Chicago's stars picked up the play and pushed the series to 7 games, by taking game 6 in OT. Game 7 was possibly the best game I have ever witnessed, on the same night when Montreal won in OT to force their series against Boston to go to 7 games, Vancouver and Chicago dueled into OT after Hawks captain Toews tied the game shorthanded, with minutes left. Though it was near 2am, and I had my toughest exam the next day, I could not take my face away from the screen, and after Burrows scored to take it, I couldn't focus for an hour. I was mind blown. I have seen many great hockey games but this definitely was up there. This alone could make a round great, but there was more. Montreal and Boston also fought in a tough 7 game series which ended in OT, the Habs speed and skills just falling short of the strength of Boston. The 2nd seeded Philly Flyers came from being 3 goals down in Game 6 to win in OT, to dominate game 7. The series between LA and San Jose also produced fireworks, 3 games out of the 6 going to OT, including game 3 where San Jose came from being 4-0 down in the 2nd to take it in OT. It says a lot about Round 1 that Round 2 was considered anti-climactic. This round was characterized by dominating stunning sweeps in the east, and grueling series in the West, which included San Jose and Detroit, which in any other year would be the top series of the post-season. But not this one, and there's still 2 round left to go.

Simply put, playoff hockey is something special. You can be down in a series, down late in a game, tied late in a game, and the best players dont shy away. Unlikely players step up (hi Joel Ward, Sean Bergenheim, Ben Smith), stars take over (sup Ryan Kesler, Pavel Datsyuk, Marty St. Louis) goalies stand on their heads (Pekka Rinne, Tim Thomas, Dwayne Roloson), and dirty goals are produced (Bobby Ryan you just killed it). This is truly why, I love hockey

No comments:

Post a Comment