Friday, May 20, 2011

Who does Tyler Seguin think he is?

On this entry, I want to focus on Tyler Seguin, Boston Bruins rookie, and also a former classmate of mine. Obviously it has been a roller-coaster year for the 19 year old, going 2nd overall in the 2010 NHL entry draft to Boston, making the Bruins out of training camp as an 18 year old, scoring his first NHL goal in only his 2nd game, to a period of offensive and defensive struggles, and a few games as a healthy scratch. The end of his regular season was better for him, but because of deadline acquisitions like Chris Kelly and Rich Peverley, Seguin was forced to the press box for Boston's 1st two playoff series. But now, he has emerged as a star.

I went to school with Seguin for 3 years, and had a number of classes with him. To be blunt, he had the typical "Im going to the show, I can do what I want attitude". While he wasn't overly rude or bossy, he did project himself at times as thinking he was above everyone else. On the ice for my high school team, he did have the skills to back it up. He was easily the most impressive player on a team that included New York Ranger 2nd round pick Christian Thomas, 2011 draft prospect Joe Crammarossa, and OHL Sarnia Sting Captain Nathan Charliti. Of course he did end up in the show (a lot sooner than anyone thought) and after getting a quick talk with him last summer, he did seem a lot more mature.

So I just want to give my thoughts on what kind of player I think he will be. I think I am unbias when it comes to his game for while I want him to do well (so I can boast about being a former classmate), I am also a Leaf fan, and know what he is really like. Simply put, I think this kid has star player written all over him. Dont let his modest stats in the regular season fool you, this kid is a future star. The thing that I like most about his game is that he is so well rounded. Throughout Seguins junior career, he was always considered a passer first, and indeed thats what he is. However, he also has a real deadly wrist shot as shown by highlight reel goals on Ilya Bryzgalov, Henrik Lundqvist and Dwayne Roloson. In addition to his shot and passing skills, he is also a very able skater. While he doesn't have the raw speed of Taylor Hall or the strength on his feet as Jeff Skinner, he combines both attributes which enables him to skate by defenders, while having the ability to muscle through them at the same time. The one part of his game which he is currently lacking is positioning, something in his game which will naturally improve as he gains experience and more ice time per game.

In terms of Seguin's potential, I believe he has all the tools to become a 1st line center, who will peak at 90 points. However, unlike a Hall, Skinner or even a Tavares, I think he will bring more to the game than just points. He has the hockey awareness to become a very good two-way player, and being a centre, the ability to win face-offs (50% face-off winning % will only get better as he gets bigger). In terms of production next year, I expect him to stay on the wing for the majority of the time, taking Mark Recchi's spot in Boston's capable top 6, and should get quality minutes with a similar player in Patrice Bergeron. Look for Seguin to score 20 goals and get between 55 - 60 points. As a player who is still eligible for the World Juniors, these are very good stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment